Like any other appliance, your furnace needs regular maintenance to keep it running efficiently and safely. Follow these tips to help ensure that your gas or electric furnace is ready for the winter.
Why Furnace Maintenance Before Winter is Important
Here’s why it’s beneficial to have a furnace cleaning and check-up before the snow falls:
- Improved efficiency. A well-maintained furnace operates more efficiently than one that hasn’t been serviced, saving you money on energy bills.
- Reduced risk of breakdowns. Regular maintenance helps identify and fix potential problems before they cause a breakdown. This can save you the hassle and expense of an emergency furnace repair.
- Increased safety. A properly maintained furnace is less likely to produce dangerous carbon monoxide gas — a colourless, odourless gas that can be fatal.
Annual Tasks and Checks for Furnace Maintenance
Several furnace cleaning tasks should be performed annually to keep your gas or electric furnace in good working condition. Some tasks you can do, while others should be done by a qualified HVAC technician.
Tasks you can do as a homeowner:
- Change the air filter. Begin the season with a fresh filter and then change it every couple of months — monthly if you have pets. A dirty air filter can restrict airflow and reduce efficiency.
- Clean the vents. Vents should be cleaned regularly to remove dust and debris to improve airflow and efficiency.
- Test the thermostat. Ensure the thermostat is accurately reading the temperature and that it triggers the furnace on or off according to the settings.
- Check smoke and carbon monoxide detectors. Make sure the smoke and carbon monoxide detectors are working properly. These detectors can save your life in the event of a fire or carbon monoxide leak.
Tasks that should be done by a professional furnace service:
- Inspect the heat exchanger. The heat exchanger is a vital component of your furnace that can crack over time. A cracked heat exchanger can leak carbon monoxide gas, so it’s important to have it inspected annually.
- Clean and inspect the furnace and burners. The burners in your gas furnace should be cleaned and inspected annually to remove any dirt or debris. This will help to improve efficiency and prevent a costly furnace repair.
- Check the safeties and operation. Verifying the furnace safeties and controls ensure that the furnace safety mechanisms are operating properly.
- Check for water leaks. Water leaks could indicate different issues such as a blocked condensate drain hose or a leaking condensate pump.
- Check the gas lines for leaks. The gas lines should be checked for leaks. Gas furnace leaks can be dangerous, so it’s vital to have them checked by a qualified technician.
- Lubricate the moving parts. The moving parts of your furnace should be lubricated annually to reduce friction and wear.
- Any other maintenance tasks for the furnace.
Furnace Maintenance and Repair Service in Winnipeg
At Fair Service Heating & Air Conditioning, we provide comprehensive furnace inspection and cleaning services for your gas or electric furnace. Contact us today to book a furnace service call to ensure your home stays warm and comfy this winter.