Is your air conditioner acting up? Are you sweltering in the summer heat? Here are eight signs your air conditioner requires repairs.
1. Your energy bills have skyrocketed. While it’s normal for your utility bills to fluctuate slightly from month to month, a sudden and significant increase in your energy bill could indicate that your AC unit isn’t running at peak efficiency.
2. Your unit is making strange noises. Although all air conditioners make some amount of noise while running, excessively loud vibrating, buzzing or clanking noises are cause for concern. These sounds often mean something’s loose, broken or out of place.
3. There are hot and cold spots throughout your space. If you notice that some areas in your property are cool while others are sweltering, your AC unit may no longer be cooling consistently. This could be due to a clogged air filter. There could also be a leak in the ducts preventing air from circulating.
4. Your unit has low airflow. If there’s cool air coming from your vents but it’s blowing very weakly, your compressor may have failed. However, this issue could also be a sign of a problem with the unit’s motor or fan.
5. Your home is more humid than usual. If you notice that the humidity in your property continues to rise despite your AC running, you could have leaky ductwork. Your condenser coils could also need to be cleaned.
6. You smell strange odours coming from your unit. If there’s an unpleasant musty smell coming from your AC unit, there could be mould or mildew in your ducts. On the other hand, if you notice a strong burning smell, you could be dealing with a wiring or mechanical issue.
7. You see pooling water around your AC. If you notice excessive amounts of water dripping from or pooling around your AC unit, you may have a faulty condensate pump. Alternatively, the drain line might be blocked or broken.
8. Your thermostat is malfunctioning. Your thermostat tells your AC system when to run and for how long. If your air conditioner won’t turn on or only runs for short periods of time before shutting off, your thermostat may be to blame.
If you notice any of these signs, immediately call a technician to come take a look.
Schedule AC Repair in Winnipeg and Surrounding Areas
If your air conditioner is malfunctioning, the experienced Fair Service Heating and Air Conditioning Ltd. team can help. We can repair your underperforming air conditioning system or replace it with an energy-efficient model from Ruud, Lennox, Goodman, Carrier or Rheem. Contact us today in Winnipeg to learn more or to request a quote.